The text for Glen Ellen Hostrie is excerpted from the following report on file at Sonoma County PRMD: Assessment of Historic Resources, Painter, Diana J., Assessment of Historic Resources for the Community of Glen Ellen, Glen Ellen, Sonoma County, California, October 2013.
Books and Directories
- Albrecht, Donald, Editor, World War II and the American Dream, How Wartime Building Changes a Nation. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press, 1995.
- California Polk-Husted Directory Co.’s Santa Rosa City and Sonoma County Directory 1908. Oakland, CA: Polk-Husted Directory Col, Publishers, 1908.
- Downey, Lynn, A Short History of Sonoma. Reno, NV: The University of Nevada Press, 2013.
- Finley, Ernest Latimer, History of Sonoma County, California. Santa Rosa: The Press Democrat Publishing Co., 1937.
- Illustrated atlas of Sonoma County, California. Santa Rosa, CA: Reynolds and Proctor, 1897. Reprinted Mt. Vernon, IN, Windmill Publications, 1988.
- Kingsbury’s 1905 Directory of Santa Rosa City and Sonoma County. Santa Rosa, CA: The Press Democrat Publishing Company, 1905.
- Kyle, Douglas E., Historic Spots in California (Fifth Edition). Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 2002 (1932).
- Mathes, Valerie Sherer and Diane Moll Smith, Images of America, Sonoma Valley. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing, 2004.
- Menefee, Campbell Augustus, Historical and descriptive sketch book of Napa, Sonoma, Lake, and Mendocino . . . Napa City, CA: Reporter Pub. House, 1873.
- Parmalee, Robert D., Pioneer Sonoma. Sonoma, CA: The Sonoma Valley Historical Society, 1972.
- Paulson, Luther L., L. L. Paulson’s Hand-book and Directory of Napa, Lake, Sonoma and Mendocino Counties. San Francisco: L. L. Paulson, 1874.
- Peninou, Ernest P., History of the Sonoma Viticultural District, Vol. 1. Santa Rosa, CA: Nomis Press, 1998.
- Polk-Husted Directory Co.’s Santa Rosa, Petaluma, and Sonoma County Directory 1911. Sacramento, Polk-Husted Directory Co., Publishers, 1911.
- Scott, Mel, The San Francisco Bay Area, A Metropolis in Perspective. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1985 (1959).
- Shere, Jim, A Brief & Amateur History of Jack London Village [manuscript]. May 3, 2008. Tuomey, Honoria, History of Sonoma County California. Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1926.
- Unzelman, Gail G., Sonoma County Wineries. San Francisco, CA: Arcadia Publishing, 2006.
- Wilson, Simone, Sonoma County, The River of Time. Sun Valley, CA: American Historical Press, 1999.
Government and Other Documents
- Caltrans Division of Environmental Analysis, A Historical Context and Archaeological Research Design for Townsite Properties in California. Sacramento, CA: California Department of Transportation, 2010.
- Kapolchok, Jean, Glen Ellen: Development and Design Guidelines. Prepared for the County of Sonoma. Prepared by J. Kapolchock and Associates, November 1990.
- “A Brief History of the Glen Ellen Area,” Historic Resources Survey. Prepared for Office of Historic Preservation, Department of Parks and Recreation, State of California – Resources Agency, County of Sonoma, City of Sonoma. Prepared by Sonoma League for Historic Preservation, May 1, 1979.
- National Park Service, National Register Bulletin 15, How to Apply the National Register Criteria for Evaluation. Washington DC: National Park Service, 1995 (1990).
- Sonoma County Permit and Resource Management Department, Sonoma County General Plan 2020, September 2008.
- U.S. Census, 1910, 1920.