Skip to Content

Who Can Prepare Historic Surveys and Evaluations?

Permit and Resource Management Department Banner 750


The Secretary of the Interior has established professional qualification standards for the preparation of Historic Surveys and Evaluations used to determine eligibility for State or National historic designation. The Landmarks Commission relies on these standards for the preparation of reports that inform their decision making. The qualifications, summarized below, define minimum education and experience required to identify, evaluate, register, and develop treatment activities related to historic resources:

  • History: Bachelor’s or graduate degree in history; and either two years of full time experience, or substantial contribution to the field of history through research and publication.
  • Archaeology: Graduate degree in archaeology; and all of the following:
    1. one year of full time professional experience;
    2. four months of supervised field and analytic experience;
    3. demonstrated ability to complete research.
  • Architectural History:  Bachelor’s or graduate degree in architectural history, art history, historic preservation or closely related field; and either two years of experience in research, writing and teaching; or substantial contribution to the field through research and publication.
  • Architecture:  Professional degree in architecture; and either two years of full time experience; or state architecture license.
  • Historic Architecture: Professional degree in historic architecture or state architecture license; and either one year of graduate study in architectural preservation; or one year of full time professional experience.


How to Find a Qualified Professional

The Northwest Information Center (NWIC), associated with Sonoma State University and the State Office of Historic Preservation, maintains a list of Historic Resources Consultants who have documented that they meet one or more of the following professional categories identified in the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties:

  • Archaeology
  • Architectural History
  • Architecture
  • Historic Architecture
  • History

To search for Historic Resources Consultants qualified to prepare Historical Surveys and Evaluations who work in or near Sonoma County, visit the California Historical Resources Information System website and:

  1. Select “Architectural History”, “Historic Architecture”, or “Architecture” under “Select a Discipline”;
  2. Select “Sonoma” under “Select a County”;
  3. And press “Search”.

Questions regarding the List of Historic Resources Consultants may be directed to:

Northwest Information Center
(707) 588-8455

Property owners may also contact Landmarks Commission staff for a list of qualified professionals who have prepared Historic Surveys or Evaluations for submittal to the PRMD in the recent past.