Skip to Content

Use Permits

A Use Permit application is required for development projects that are typically more intensive than Permitted Uses. Use Permit applications often require a public hearing before the Board of Zoning Adjustments. When processed with a Zone Change and/or a General Plan Amendment, the public hearing will be before the Planning Commission.

Examples of uses requiring a Use Permit are:

Use Permits are discretionary in nature, and, if approved, will include conditions of approval. A Use Permit can only be approved if found to be consistent with each of the following:

Submit Planning Applications Electronically

Customers must submit planning applications electronically. Please follow the process to submit a planning application online:

Submit Electronic Applications

Do Not Print Out Construction Plans or Other Documentsdo not print

Construction plans and documents are to be submitted electronically. Paper documents are not accepted when applying for a permit.

The instructions and forms listed below are undergoing review. Some may still contain outdated instructions to print out copies of construction plans and documents. Please ignore that instruction and submit electronically. Only print items if directly instructed by Permit Sonoma for your situation.


The County of Sonoma began to accept applications for Cannabis permits on July 5, 2017. View instructions and forms necessary for obtaining Cannabis-related use permits in unincorporated Sonoma County for the categories listed below:

  • Cultivation
  • Dispensaries
  • Distribution and Transportation
  • Manufacturing

Minor – Live Work

All listed forms and instructions must be completed and submitted.


PJR-053 - Live/Work Uses


Wineries and Winery Events

A use permit is required for wineries and winery events.

Winery Use Permit Applications Process

Use Permit Process Video