How to Submit Planning Applications Electronically
Customers must submit planning applications electronically. Because our online permitting portal is not yet configured for Planning e-submittals, the submittal process will take place by email.
Planning Application Options:
- Vacation and Hosted Rental permits
- All other Planning applications, follow instructions below:
1. Ensure you are registered for a Permits Online account.
Before you can apply for your permit:
- Register for a Permits Online account if you do not have one already.
- Make note of the email address you use to log into your Permits Online account, and provide it to Permit Sonoma staff in Step 3 below.
A Permits Online account is needed so you can check the status of your permits, pay permit fees, schedule inspections (if applicable), etc.
2. Ensure you have a complete application.
- Review the Planning Instructions and Forms section for the required application materials for each type of permit.
- All planning applications require the following forms:
- If you need assistance determining which forms and materials are required, please send us an email at: PlanningApplications@sonoma-county.org
3. Upload complete applications.
- Applications are required to be submitted as one merged PDF file. View instructions
- All uploaded files should be named with the following convention:
- Go to SoCo Cloud to upload complete applications.
- Email PlanningApplications@sonoma-county.org to notify us that you have uploaded your application. Include the following:
- A brief description of the application type (Example: "Zoning Permit for a Home Occupation").
- Provide the email address you use to log into your Permits Online account. (See Step 1 above.)
- If the application is determined to be complete for submission, you will receive an email with an invoice for the required application fees.
- If the application is incomplete for submission, you will be notified of the required revisions or missing materials.
If you do not receive a response within two (2) business days, please email PlanningApplications@sonoma-county.org
4. Pay for the application online.
- An application will be considered accepted upon receipt of payment.
- Once you receive the application invoice, please visit our online permitting website and select ‘Pay Fees’ on the home page. Enter the Record Number and click ‘Search’. Select the ‘Payments’ Tab at the top and then ‘Pay Fee’ on the right side of the invoice line. Follow the instructions from there.
- Please email PlanningApplications@sonoma-county.org to notify us that you have paid.
- Within three (3) business days of payment, you will receive an email with your assigned planner’s contact information.