How to Combine PDF files
Instructions for merging documents into a single PDF file using Adobe Acrobat.
When submitting electronic permit applications to Permit Sonoma via Permits Online, documents must be submitted as PDF files per the following:
- Plan sheets: All uploaded in one merged PDF file
- Supporting documents: Uploaded in separate PDF files with the correct individual document type identified
Be sure to name files as required for each permit type.
Important: Executable files, .zip files, and other unsafe file types are disallowed for upload.
Merging PDF files for Online Permitting Tool Submissions
Using Adobe Acrobat to Merge Files
- Open Acrobat DC to combine files: Open the Tools tab and select "Combine files."
- Add files: Select "Add Files" and select the files you want to include in your PDF. You can merge PDFs or a mix of PDF documents and other files.
- Arrange and delete content: Click, drag, and drop to reorder files or press "Delete" to remove any content you don't want.
- Combine files: When you're finished arranging, select "Combine Files".
- Save as a PDF file: Name your file and select the "Save" button.
Using Adobe Acrobat to merge protected files (password for files required)
Important: Password protected files will not be accepted for Digital Plan Room (DPR) submissions.
- File -> Create for creating a new PDF file.
- Choose “Combine Files Into a Single PDF” option.
- Select Add File, add all the PDF files you want to merge.
- Add password of the locked PDF files.
- Select Combine.
- File -> Save As to save the PDF file.
Adobe Acrobat Alternatives
If you don't have Adobe Acrobat, there are some free options availble. Here are results from a search for "merge pdf files without acrobat" in Google.
Paper Documents into a PDF
Electronic Documents Requirement
- We do not accept paper documents. Please submit electronic documents.
- We recommend creating plans and other documents electronically. It will be easier to edit them later if revisions or corrections need to be made.
If you must use paper documents:
- Each paper document should be scanned all at once into a single electronic document.
- This can be accomplished at home, by your contractor or engineer, or at a local copy shop.
Important Note About Technical Support
Technical Support: Permit Sonoma staff do not currently have the capacity to provide technical support on a case by case basis. We ask customers to troubleshoot as much as possible in order to ensure a more expedited process.
We do offer the following instructions and information:
Google is also a great resource to look up “How Tos.”