Skip to Content

Residential Reroofing

Permit and Resource Management Department Banner 750

This page explains how to get a reroofing permit. 

Step 1: Determine the details of your reroofing project. You’ll need to know:

  • What are you reroofing?
  • How much material are you using (how many squares)?
  • Are you tearing off the existing roof or resheathing?
  • How much will the roof contracting work cost?

Step 2: Make sure there are no open building code violations on your property. If you do have violations, you will need to legalize or demolish a structure to bring your property into compliance before applying for the reroofing permit. Contact Code Enforcement to find out more. 

Step 3: Prepare your application. For in-person submittals, the Building Permit Application must be filled out at the Permit Center, but identifying the information you’ll need in advance may save you time at the Permit Center. See details in answers to the Frequently Asked Questions below to find out what additional documents are needed for owner-builders.

Step 4: Submit your application online or in-person at the Permit Center. Consider making an appointment if you’re coming in-person. You will need to pay your fees when you submit your application. View building permit fee schedule. 

Step 5: After your permit is issued, you can begin your reroofing work.

Step 6:   Schedule your inspections prior to beginning your work. You’ll need at least two inspections, including a pre-inspection (code 137) and a final inspection (code 199). You can schedule these inspections by phone, online, or mobile app.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I have an open building code violation on my property. How do I resolve this before submitting my roofing permit?

A: Visit the Code Enforcement cube at the Permit Center to discuss and create a plan to resolve any open violations.

Q: Who can pull a reroofing permit?

A: Property owners or a contractor with a C39 license. 

Q: What do I need to do to pull the permit as an owner-builder?

A: An owner-builder is a person who owns the property and acts as their own general contractor on the job. As the owner-builder, you would either do the work yourself or have employees (or subcontractors) work on the project. As an owner-builder, you accept full responsibility for your construction permit. To apply for a permit as an owner-builder, you need to submit the Owner Builder Information, Notice to Property Owner Authorization (Form CSS-026), which acknowledges and gives approval to assume liability for the construction project.

Q: What if I am the tenant but not the property owner?

A: You are not authorized to get this permit.

Q: What if my property is owned by a trust?

A: You will need to provide a copy of the trust paperwork showing the trustee or executor.

Q: What if my property is overseen by a Homeowners Association and the scope of work is in the common area or exterior of a condominium building?

A: You will need to submit a letter or authorization (signed by the HOA president).

Q: What if I live in a coastal community?

A: You need to visit the Planning cube at the Permit Center to discuss potential additional requirements associated with coastal zones.