Sustainable or green building design and construction is a method of wisely using resources to create high-quality, healthier, and more energy-efficient homes and commercial buildings.
CALGreen: The County of Sonoma has adopted CALGreen and the California Energy Code. CALGreen is California's Green Building Standards code and applies to all newly constructed buildings as well as additions and certain alterations. Please use the customized checklists to document compliance with CALGreen.
Special Inspector: CALGreen program-required field verification is now performed by a CALGreen Special Inspector. This video provides general information about the program as well as how to obtain the list of CalGreen certified agencies and inspectors.
What is Green Building?
Green Building is a “whole systems” approach for designing and constructing buildings that:
- Are integrated into the building site
- Consume less energy and water
- Are durable and easier to maintain
- Use resource efficient techniques and materials
- Are healthier, safer, and more comfortable
- Provide environmental benefits
- Reduce the impacts of natural resource consumption
- Provide health and safety benefits
- Enhance occupant comfort and health, as well as the greater community
- Provide community benefits
- Minimize strain on local infrastructure and improve quality of building stock and life
- Improve the bottom line for owners, building professionals, and the community
Information obtained from Build it GREEN
calgreen, calgreen, calgreen, calgreean