Water Conservation and Best Management Practices
Water well permits (except public water wells and injection wells) require implementation of water conservation and best management practices, specified in Sonoma County Code Section 25B-13.
Level 1 water conservation requirements apply County wide and are considered effective low-cost water efficiency measures. Level 2 conservation requirements are aimed at larger groundwater users and apply to wells using greater than two (2) acre-feet per year that are located within the Public Trust Review Area.
The Public Trust Review Area can be viewed through the County Well Ordinance Map.
Compliance Verification Process
Before issuance of the well permit, the applicant must provide verification that Level 1 and 2 Conservation Requirements are complete. Instructions and procedures for Level 1 and 2 conservation requirements are provided in the forms below.
- Level 1 Conservation Completion Form - COMING SOON
- Level 2 Conservation Completion Form - COMING SOON
Level 1 Water Conservation and Best Management Practices Include:
- Leak and water conservation assessment.
- Water-efficient faucets and showerheads.
- New landscapes shall comply with the water-efficient landscape regulations in Sonoma County Code section 7D3 Water Efficient Landscape.
- For development after October 4, 2022, grass lawns are prohibited unless compliant with Water Efficient Landscape Regulations.
- Grass lawns shall be no greater than 2,500 square feet for all sites unless compliant with Water Efficient Landscape Regulations.
- Disconnected downspouts.
- Compliance with water conservation requirements adopted by a Groundwater Sustainability Agency.
Level 2 Water Conservation and Best Management Practices Include:
- Efficient toilets.
- Water Conservation Plan for commercial, industrial, and institutional sites.
- Agricultural Water Conservation Practices Plan (Farm Plan).
- Vineyard and Orchard irrigation limits of 0.6 AFY per acre (excluding Frost Protection) or existing use supported by data or a study.
- Enrollment in a Frost Protection Program or submittal and implementation of a Frost Protection Plan.
- Sonoma County Water Efficient Landscape Regulations
- Sonoma-Marin Saving Water Partnership - Irrigation Scheduling Tool
- Sonoma-Marin Saving Water Partnership - Water Efficient Landscape Design Templates
- Sonoma-Marin Saving Water Partnership - Water Smart Gardens Maintenance Manual
- Qualified Water Efficient Landscape (QWEL) Professional Locator