Skip to Content

Junior Accessory Dwelling Units

Junior Accessory Dwelling Unit (JADU) living room and kichenette

Junior Accessory Dwelling Units (JADUs) are small living units (up to 500 square feet) created from space within a single-family home. 

Download the Permit Sonoma JADU Checklist (PDF)

Compare Accessory Dwelling Units and Junior Accessory Dwelling Units

ADU Rescue!
Have an unpermitted Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) or Junior Accessory Dwelling Unit (JADU) and need an enforcement violation extension? Learn more on how you may qualify for an extension and apply for our ADU Rescue program.

Updated ADU and JADU Ordinance Effective October 14, 2021
On September 14, 2021, the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors approved changes to the Zoning Code that updated ADU and JADU regulations. 

ADU Ordinance

JADU Ordinance

Summary of Standards

Below are some of the most common standards property owners need to know to plan for a JADU. For a complete list of development standards, please review the checklist above. 

  • Allowed in all zoning districts that allow single-family residences
  • Must be located within an existing or proposed single-family dwelling or attached garage
  • Maximum size of 500 square feet
  • Has a small kitchen
  • Has a separate exterior entrance
  • Private or shared bathroom
  • No extra parking required!
  • May be rented, but no short-term rental is allowed
  • Owner must reside in primary dwelling or JADU
  • One JADU per parcel (but may be on the same parcel as an ADU)

Permits and Fees


  • JADU will require a building permit to convert existing space to a dwelling unit.
  • A deed restriction form (PDF: 107 kB) must be recorded as follows: 
    1. You will need the legal description of your property (the description of the parcel from your deed). 
    2. Submit the form with the application for a building permit and a planner from the Planning Division will sign it and return it to you. Planning will place a hold on the final inspection pending receipt of the recorded form. 
    3. Have the form notarized. 
    4. Record the completed form with the County Recorder's office. Ask for a conformed copy. 
    5. Return the conformed copy to the Planning Division by email. 
  • JADUs don’t require fire code upgrades or separate utility connections.
  • JADUs must be connected to a septic or sewer system.


Development impact fees (traffic and parks) are not charged for JADUs. However, other fees associated with building permits will be required.