- Services and Fees
- Wildfire Preparedness
- County Fire Code
- Commercial Development
- Residential Development
- Back to Permit Types
Knox Box Key Access
Chapter 5. Section 506 of the California Fire Code, Sonoma County requires all new construction and existing buildings to be equipped with a fire department access box to provide for rapid entry and prevention of damage to buildings and gates.
In an effort to provide both fire department emergency access and building security for buildings, the Fire Prevention Division has selected the Knox Box public Safety Key Box System for use in accomplishment of these goals. This is a system that will allow us access to a key for non-destructive entry into a building.
This is a mandatory system for commercial establishments within the county as well as all electric commercial and residential gates within the county. In this program the building owner/occupant orders the correct device to install on the building to secure a key(s) for use by the fire department in an emergency, Personnel should encourage the use of this box at any opportunity.
The Knox Box rapid entry system is a secure emergency access program developed for property owners and fire departments. When a fire breaks out or there is a medical emergency, Knox products allow immediate entry into buildings and property without forced entry damage or delay. Property owners store entrance keys, access cards and floor plans in high-security Knox-Boxes mounted near building entrances. Each Knox Box purchased by a property owner is keyed to a single master key controlled by the fire department.
In addition to key boxes and vaults, Knox padlocks and key switches operate with the same master key. There are so many gated communities today that fire and police departments are delayed when responding to emergency calls. Increased property damage and even total loss is a threat when property is not accessible.
Please contact the Permit Sonoma Fire Prevention Division at (707) 565-2361 for questions regarding the Knox Box System.
Sonoma County Approved Vendor
Gates that are electric or chained will require a Knox Key Switch or a Knox Pad-lock. This can be ordered online, faxed, mailed, and telephoned in. it is the responsibility of the owner/contractor to verify the correct style to be ordered and have it installed by final inspection. Contact the Permit Sonoma Fire Prevention Division to obtain the correct public safety ID# for gates located in the unincorporated areas of Sonoma County.
Every new and existing commercial business (Structures Only) will be required to install an approved model Knox Box. Knox Box forms can be picked up at the local fire authority which has jurisdiction of the commercial business. This will be a different process then that as required of gates. The owner/contractor will be required to apply for this Knox Box at the local fire authority to obtain the correct style and Key type. each fire jurisdiction has a different key for security measures.
Directions for Ordering
Before purchase verify that correct device is approved for the area it will be installed. Some areas will require department specific orders only.
- Go to KnoxBox.com
- Select "Online Purchase" to begin the order process.
- Enter zip code where the box is being installed.
- Select “Sonoma Co Fire & Emerg Serv - 2300 County Center Dr - Santa Rosa, CA 95403" then click continue.
- Select the item to be purchased, and fill in all required fields.
- Select "Add to Cart" and proceed to checkout.
- Select the applicable entry from the choices, and click next.
- Complete the billing information.
- When the Knox-Box has been installed contact your the local fire department to test and confirm the Knox Box has been installed correctly. If you were required to install the knox box due to new building construction, your knox box will be tested at final of your building by the fire inspector.
- Before purchase verify that correct device is approved for the area it will be installed. Some areas will require department specific orders only.